This Page

has been moved to new address

First "real" post, an introduction

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: First "real" post, an introduction

Friday, February 19, 2010

First "real" post, an introduction

Well, I guess that title is a bit misleading. I haven't been fake or anything, I've just tried to focus on the tutu business moreso than my personal life when writing this blog. That, of course, is changing now. :) I will warn you, I am very opinionated. If you can't handle that, I do apologize in advance! You should follow this blog instead -- I do giveaways and reviews, and it's pretty much all business, with just a little bit of sass. ;)

I should introduce myself! Most of you know me already, but this will be a good post for others to look back on when they find me. First of all, I'm a typo FREAK so if you EVER see a typo in one of my blogs, PLEASE tell me!!

Me in 1987:



Me in 2009:



I'm 24 years old (I will be 25 on 4/9, send me something special lol). My partner's name is Rachel - we have been together for a little over a year. We have also lived together for a little over a year. In true U-Haul fashion, we did in fact move in together after dating for less than a month. (For the record, I didn't do that with anyone else prior to her - I had kids and never trusted anyone enough.) We met at work - it was love at first sight.

Rachel:



Us:



We have three little girls. Jenelle is 8, Gracelynn will be 5 on 3/7, and Sapphire is 3. Seeing as we are lesbians, she obviously didn't impregnate me and I didn't impregnate her - I'm biologically their mother. I was married previously, and was terribly unhappy... not much to say on that subject really. :) Rachel is their "other mother" (that's the name they came up with for her), and more of a "father" than theirs ever was.

Jenelle:


Gracelynn:


Sapphire (the day we moved in, excuse the mess):



I read an article online back in October of 2009 about making your own tutus. They were called "no-sew" tutus, and seemed fairly easy to make. I kept reading, and watching, and figured out how to do them. My first few attempts looked pathetic, honestly (so if you're trying to make them, don't give up).

First tutu I ever made:



However, I soon perfected the tutu-making and people started asking where they could buy them.

Tutus now:



I've always liked working online, so I figured I'd make a webpage and sell the tutus there. I had no idea it would turn into such a big thing, but I love it!! It still isn't HUGE to where I'm getting orders every day yet, but I'm working on that. :)



My first customers were photographers. I placed an ad on craigslist asking amateur photographers if they wanted their photography noticed -- I offered tutus in exchange for their photos.

Other than making tutus, we also like to do all types of crafts. I recently taught my 8 year old how to loom-knit and she fell in love! It is the first craft I've let her do solo, and she is addicted. :) She doesn't have much time to do it, with school and such (that's another story in itself), but she did complete her first scarf last month. She is making her sister one for her birthday as well. I recently got a Cricut, so we have started papercrafting also! The little ones can help with that, and they really enjoy it.

As far as my philosophy and views on things.. I've been asked a lot of questions lately about religion, politics, going green, and more. My views on some things change from day to day - others I am firm in and have not changed my mind in 24 years. :) I generally shy away from discussing such "deep" topics with people, because they seem to get offended easily, but for introduction purposes I will state my beliefs on a few things.

Religion: I am 10000% against organized religion. I believe in God, we pray every day (and before every meal), we talk about God a lot, but we do not (will not) attend church.

Politics: I really hate politics..

Going green: I'd love to be a traveling tutu selling hippie.. I'd love to dred my hair and drive an RV across country that runs on vegetable oil. However, finances prevent us from doing that right now.. so until then, I do send all of my bows, giveaways, etc out in recycled materials. Sometimes I use a cereal box that is cut up, other times I use wrapping paper or magazine pages for envelopes. I always try to use recyclables, though.

Schooling: I home schooled Jenelle up until this year. I loved it, she loved it, but Rachel wasn't really too keen on it. We agreed to try public school this year, and Jenelle is.. well, she's surviving. Kids are mean, teachers can be also, and it's just frustrating to have her come home crying at least once a week because of it. However, it's the real world, and for this year she has to deal with it. I'm hoping within the next two years we can start home schooling again - though I'm not sure it will happen, seeing as Grace is starting kindergarten next year.

Okay, so I think that's enough of an intro. I included everything I've been asked recently as well as a bit more.

If you'd like to know more, just ask a question in that box to the right! That's my FAQ box and I answer all questions right away. You can click on it to see all my previous answers.

*UPDATED MARCH 2011* Just wanted to post some new pictures of us! :) Also a new update on Jenelle in school.. she is doing great! Grace is, too!

Gracelynn, Sapphire, Jenelle, and then Rachel. :) No pics of me as of yet. I am working on losing weight and will do a 'big reveal' towards the end of 2011.




Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At February 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Deb said...

nice to meet you...it is fun learning about fellow bloggers...your girls are adorable and so are your tutus....my daughter is a dancer and a dance teacher will keep you in mind if they need tutus....

 
At February 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM , Blogger Jingle said...

Wow! You are way fun! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and to share a bit about yourself! Your girls are adorable and their names are absolutely beautiful! And your tutus are SO STINKING CUTE!

 
At February 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How wonderful of you to post this! It's great to meet you, I love your tutu's and look forward to more posts!

 
At February 19, 2010 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Very nice to "meet" you. Your tutus are adorable! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi. =D

 
At February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Everyday Kathy said...

Thanks for stopping by Everyday Bliss and becoming a follower... I'm honored to have you join me! I love your TuTus and you said something I liked in a previous post because I am already following you!!! Thanks for your introduction! If you want to learn more about me just go to this post on my blog: http://blisspot.blogspot.com/2009/10/field-work-update-on-creativity-promise.html

Glad to OWOH introduced us!
Outrageous joy,
Kathy

 
At February 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM , Blogger SHI said...

Thank you for entering my giveaway! You have a beautiful family...I've gotta check out your tutu's for my 3 year old niece :)

 
At February 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM , Anonymous gretchen said...

just found your blog-wow-super cute kids! I love how creative and energetic you come across. If you find a way to bottle that let me know LOL!

 
At February 20, 2010 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Odddollz by Jacqui said...

Good Monring:)

Your girls are DARLING!! you tutus are DARLING!!! and so are YOU:)
So happy to have met you through OWOH and I think it would be soooo much fun to make a doll with a tutu!! I can see her in my head now:) If you want to send me a tiny tutu for a doll not yet born, that would be a great collaberation!! when ever is fine, just let me know:)

HUGZ
Jacqui

 
At February 21, 2010 at 2:25 AM , Blogger Micki said...

You have a lovely family, and it is wondeful to see you all so happy. Thanks for becoming a follower, and I am one too.
Enjoy your weekend!
Micki

 
At February 22, 2010 at 3:19 PM , Blogger SB~the origianl bunny said...

The more I learn about you and your family the more cooler you guys get! You guys ROCK!!!

 
At March 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM , Blogger SB~the origianl bunny said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
I first met you on cafe mom newcomers group. I got a question, What does Rachel do for a living? I mean if it's not being too nosey or anything?
Any more kids in the near future? Does Rachel have any "bio-kids"?
I love your blogs and love learning more about you ladies!
You and your family totally rocks!!!

 
At March 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

I just saw this post, sorry! :) Rach works in a phone center conducting agricultural research studies with farmers (exciting.. oh yeah), and that's where we met. I obviously no longer work there. :) Rach has no bio kids.. she has always wanted them and tried when she was younger to get pregnant to no avail (thankfully, because I wouldn't have found her if she had a kid!). :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home