This Page

has been moved to new address

Make your own Easter soaps

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Make your own Easter soaps

Friday, February 19, 2010

Make your own Easter soaps



You can actually make any type of soaps with this tutorial, but I made Easter Egg soaps and they're awesome! :) These are a great alternative to buying soap made with chemicals in a factory.

You will need:

glycerin soap (5lb bag at Hobby Lobby was $15 but I had a 40% off coupon)

microwavable container (I used an old mayo jar.)

egg mold (I used one of those trays you put deviled eggs in)

Optional:

soap dyes (do NOT, I repeat DO NOT, use food coloring)
essential oils (use sparingly)

The directions are on the back of the glycerin soap bag, but basically you take a few chunks and melt it at 30 second intervals until it's liquid. Remove from the microwave, and add your essential oils (just a few drops!!) and soap dye (again, a few drops does the trick - especially with these, as I wanted them to look "pastel"). Stir with a skewer or other wooden/metal object (do not use plastic).

When making regular soaps, you can also add oatmeal. If you add oatmeal to your Easter Egg soaps, they will look dumb. Trust me on this one.



On the topic of oatmeal soaps, you want to make sure the oatmeal is at the TOP of the soaps (which means pour it in after you pour just a little bit of soap in the mold.) If the oatmeal is at the bottom, it will get soggy and gross when it's sitting on the sink or in the shower.



Anyway, you mix the oils and dye in with the soap, and pour it into the egg molds. Let sit for about an hour at room tempature. Turn over, and pop the soaps out of the molds. You can wrap them in ribbon, add some stickers, or put them in a basket with some fake grass.



Aren't they adorable? (Notice the clear looking one at the top? It's the oatmeal egg. Gross)



I'd like to see what everyone comes up with. Please link back to my page and let me know what yours look like! I think these could be really cute in a little Easter basket. You could do all pastel colors, or layer a few colors.. I mean, the possibilities are endless, really!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At February 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

We did this for a baby shower, only we found birth control molds. It was a very quirky and funny baby shower and everyone thought it was hilarious! This is such a fun project to do : )

 
At February 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Deb said...

so cute.....

 
At February 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM , Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Those are so adorable. Tres creative!!

 
At February 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Tree Huggin Momma said...

I like the ones with the oatmeal. I might try dyeing the oatmeal first and then putting it a different colored soap. From the distance I thought it looked like gold in the soap. You could also put dried flowers (lavender) in these as well.

 
At February 22, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Blogger SB~the origianl bunny said...

Oooh cool! I would like to try these! What "flavors" do you have? Any cucumber melon or lavender/vanilla?
I would be too afraid to use the oat meal ones for fear they would clog my drain(LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG story!) But Thse look awesome!!!

 
At February 27, 2010 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

I use cucumber melon and love struck, which is like a knock off of Love Spell. YUM! I have started making my oatmeal soaps a little different, though, because if they sit out they get soggy on the bottom - you know what I mean? Like how regular soap does? And soggy oatmeal makes me gag. Soooo lol long story short I now put oatmeal only in the TOP half of the soaps. :)

 
At April 4, 2011 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you use to mold the large bars of the oatmeal soap?
Is the cucumber melon and love struck you talk about oils?? I so want to try this!

 
At April 5, 2011 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

They have molds at Hobby Lobby (and other craft stores), and they have the fragrance oils at those stores as well. They're all rather affordable, which makes it great. :D

 
At April 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Erin said...

They look super cute!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home