This Page

has been moved to new address

10 NEW SPF Secrets - Protect Your Skin!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: 10 NEW SPF Secrets - Protect Your Skin!

Monday, July 18, 2011

10 NEW SPF Secrets - Protect Your Skin!

I recently started receiving "Women's Health" magazine in the mail, and while I won't say it's my favorite subscription I will say it has a few helpful articles. With it being the middle of summer and all, I wanted to pass this one on.


Some dangers lurk within: A form of vitamin A is added to some sunscreens to minimize the aging effects of the sun. However, researchers have found that this vitamin A compound may speed up the development of skin cancer related tumors and lesions when used on skin hit with sunlight. You'd think the developers would not want this, right? Ugh. Be careful what you put on your skin, folks!

Sunscreen can harm the environment. What?! The article states that 20,000 tons of sunscreen wash off swimmers, divers, and surfers into the oceans every year, eventually affecting marine life - especially coral reefs. So, if you're going to be swimming in the sea, make sure you use biodegradable sunscreen (who knew there was such a thing?).

SPF doesn't always block UVA rays. I know most of us knew this already, but the FDA is considering a set of guidelines that would use a four-star system to rate a sunscreen's effectiveness against UVA rays. Keep an eye out for it.


Sunscreen expires. Leaving sunblock in intense heat for long amounts of time may make it less effective. Sunscreen also has an expiration date - so check it!

Medications can make you more vulnerable. Meds like tetracycline, diuretics, and painkillers like Aleve can up your chances of getting burned according to this article. They make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so be sure to reapply sunscreen often if you take any of the medications listed above.

Certain foods can turbocharge your protection. Whodathunkit? Load up on lycopene-rich fruits and veggies (think watermelon & tomatoes) to help aid in the protection of your skin.


Labels can lie. Well, I think we kinda knew this, but still. The FDA doesn't regulate sunscreens so the manufacturers aren't legally required to prove what they claim on their labels. So when a sunscreen says "waterproof", it doesn't necessarily mean it. I've heard that they are working on improving this system, but haven't read anything solid on it yet.

The SPF number doesn't mean much. Now, I admit, I didn't know that until this year. I used to buy the highest SPF possible, but now I just use SPF 30. According to this Women's Health article, the super high numbers are just a marketing ploy. *gasp* They lied to us again?

Makeup with SPF doesn't cut it. This is kind of true, kind of untrue. If you reapply every two hours or so, they'll protect you just fine. But, let's face it, who does that? Solution: Always add an extra layer of lightweight sunscreen (the article suggests Clinique's City Block Face Protector SPF 25).

Soaking up vitamin D is no excuse for skipping sunblock. Vitamin D is good for lots of things (strengthening your bones, reducing your risk for certain cancers, and more), but no amount of unprotected sun exposure is OK. Vitamin D is very important, but there are other ways to soak it up (try milk, or a supplement).

What are your sun safety tips? 

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Deborah McCloud said...

Following and commenting! Living in TX, I can use all the sun protection info I can get!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Ashley Rae said...

Wow! This is kinda scary! I will be looking into what I use from now on. Thanks!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM , Blogger smallangels said...

We just did a Vegas trip where we were outside the 90% time. None of us got burned, the sod works great!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Wendi said...

Great tips! I knew a few of those (skin cancer possibility), but didn't realize that when it washes off your skin it has a lasting impact on the environment.

My friend and I had a discussion about sunscreen this weekend, and we are careful about how often we put it on our kids because of some of the points you bring up.

:) Wendi

PS - I'm your newest follower (found you via the Blog Booster Group)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Rockin Momma said...

Thanks for this post. If you don't mind I might use it on my blog. I just calling the doctor to have a mole on my arm looked at so I was just thinking about posting something about it!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great article Sadie. I have been come a huge advocate for protection yourself in the sun ever since I watched this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jgUcxMezM&feature=player_embedded

It is a tearjerker!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Rockin Momma, I'd love for you to post it on your blog :)

Ordinary Girl, I will watch the video momentarily!

Wendi, I had no idea it impacted the environment either (not that I get many chances to swim in the ocean.. but still.. good to know).

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Anonymous Jenn T. - Scentsify Your Life said...

Great post!!! Love new tips! http://scentsifyyourlife.blogspot.com/2011/06/scentsy-buddies.html

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omgosh who knew!? I had no idea there was such a thing as biodegradable sun screen. Being that we are in Hawaii and we love to snorkel over-top of the coral, I think I might look into getting some. I know just me making the switch won't do much good but atleast I will know I'm not contributing as much!

Following from www.camisolesandcammies.blogspot.com

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Mommybug77 said...

That was interesting. I hate when things are misleading, especially things we are using to protect ourselves.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM , Anonymous Momfever said...

Yeah, I knew this scary stuff… But sometimes I get kind of fed up with everything we should be afraid off… My grandmother used to say: you're gonna have to die of something eventually.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home