This Page

has been moved to new address

DIY: Taffy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: DIY: Taffy

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DIY: Taffy



After finding about 10 different recipes and ways to make saltwater taffy, I decided to combine them and.. well, you know me.. wing it. I suggest checking out a few of those recipes, and picking one. Winging it, well, it's nerve wracking lol.



I was really nervous, because it was candy. I used to make candy every holiday, until November of 2004, when I burned a batch!! It was the MOST INSANELY DISGUSTINGLY AWFUL SMELL I HAVE EVER SMELLED IN MY LIFE. I was pregnant, so that might have been why it was soooo bad, but I never ever want to smell it again. Ever. Ick.



So, as I was mixing the ingredients, trying to decide whether to stir or not to stir, I started having flashbacks from when I burned the candy before. I'm standing there, trying to keep the kids close but not too close, quietly trying not to freak out. I was at the nail-biting stage, that's how bad it was. Add to that, 3 kids wanting to get a little too close to the extremely hot stove, and Rachel texting me because she is "bored at work", and I was a nervous wreck!



Anyway, I (we!) survived, and made some great tasting taffy. However, it's nothing like saltwater taffy, which is why I changed the name of it. It's more like.. that Laffy Taffy stuff you can buy in the candy stores. It's a little harder, though. Not sure what I did wrong. Either way, it was delicious. The kids won't stop asking for it. :)



This is a great website on pulling instructions. It's not as easy as it sounds LOL. I mean, I guess it is.. but I didn't have any instructions until after I was done, so mine didn't turn out the right way. But, we had fun while doing it!



Weee!!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At March 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Tree Huggin Momma said...

Cute blog today!

 
At March 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM , Blogger CaneWife said...

Yum. I have an irrational fear of my candy thermometer, so I hear you on the winging it :)

 
At March 3, 2010 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Mmmm taffy, can't wait till summer starts.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

 
At March 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Thanks, Momma! I was scared to change the layout, I was afraid I was going to mess something up!

CaneWife, seriously.. the candy thermometer is one of the few things that terrifies me! lol

 
At March 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Jingle said...

Really? It worked? 'Cause I've kind of always wanted to make taffy, but it scares me! LOL! I love the color of yours!!!!

 
At March 4, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

I used some blue raspberry kool-aid mix for the color/flavor! Awesome, right? :)

 
At April 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM , Blogger Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

How FUN!! My kids would love this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home