This Page

has been moved to new address

I'm Not a Highly Effective Blogger.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: I'm Not a Highly Effective Blogger.

Monday, July 18, 2011

I'm Not a Highly Effective Blogger.

I was reading this nifty article over at BlogHer and have realized I may not be a highly effective blogger. Oops. 


#4 says bloggers are lifelong learners. I've got that covered. I learn something new every day. I learned today that if my 9 year old was an only child, she'd probably weigh about 30 pounds more. Why? Because now that her sisters are on vacation, I am letting her fend for herself and she has eaten frozen pizza 3 days in a row. Bad mommy. 


I've also learned that my readers think (know?) I have ADD. I was looking at my Alexa reviews today and saw this one from Real Mom Reviews. It says: Sadie is a mom to three beautiful girls. Her blog is full of stories on being a same sex parenting couple, coupon deals, and some amazing recipes (marshmallow brownies OMG yum)!!! She does have a bit of what I assume to be ADD, because she switches from subject to subject super fast, but THAT is what makes this site worth reading! :) -- When I read this review, I had to giggle (and call my mom, so she could too). I know I jump from subject to subject all the time. It probably drives some of you crazy! I just can't help it. Forgive me? 


That brings us to #5. It says effective bloggers are focused and consistent. Err... um... oh look, a butterfly! Just kidding. But seriously, I'm rarely consistent. I mean, I am consistent in the fact that I blog almost every day. And I'm also consistent in the fact that I change subjects at least once a week. So, maybe I am consistent after all?? 


#6 says effective bloggers plan ahead. I totally agree with this one, and if you want to be a good blogger you should try to plan ahead. This is one of those "do as I say not as I do" things, because even though I'm a planner in some ways (my budget, grocery list, etc), in other ways I am not (er.. blogging). Did I mention that my designer was up til 5AM configuring my layout because I emailed her saying "The guy from the newspaper is going to look at my blog at 7AM and I need a new layout!"? Yeah, bad blogger. Lack of planning = stress. So, it is best if you plan ahead. It leaves you much more relaxed. Trust me! 


Last but not least, #8 says: effective bloggers are self-starters. This is so true. So many people ask me "how do I start a blog", "how do I make money blogging", "how do I get more followers"? The answer is simple: be a self-starter. The readers are not going to come to you unless you go to them first! Find some blogs and comment on them. Leave genuine comments (not the annoying ones like "Great post come look at mine here ____".) Ones that show the blogger you ACTUALLY read their post! Ones that show true interest in what they have to say.


Overall, the BlogHer article is pretty correct. I am a known rule-breaker though, so of course a few of the points didn't apply to me. If you want to get started blogging, all I can say is just do it. Dive in head first. And if you have any questions at all, just email me or leave a comment! I always answer as soon as I possibly can, and I never charge to help people out. It's just something I love to do. Just remember to pay it forward. :)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Kyleigh's Closet said...

All I know is I always enjoy reading what you write & I'm not a big reader ;-)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Aw, thank you! :) I am always so worried about being TOO random, but I can't help the way my brain works! This morning I was thinking about sun screen and this afternoon I'm thinking about being an effective blogger lol. Thanks for reading, I really appreciate that someone likes my ramblings! <3

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM , Anonymous Holly@homestyletips said...

I'm not an effect blogger either according to that article! It's okay though, our differences is what makes people want to read our blogs.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is comforting to know that I am not the only one writing on "random" topics; I have no "theme" just my stories. Who knows, maybe as I become more veteraned and learn a lot more things will change. But, for now, I find comfort knowing I am not alone, that there is hope ;-).

www.heatherleonforte.com

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is such an interesting article! Thank you for posting it. I have a lot to learn and I am so happy to keep learning every day! =)

Kindness is the best accessory,
rebeccakelsey.com

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Too Cute Creations said...

haha LOVE IT! Sadie, you are far from alone...FB alone shows me that I am not the only one...I was just telling my husband the other night how there are soooooooo MANY girls JUST LIKE ME doing the same thing as me...in the sense that you just explained! Well said & thank you for the tips!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Veronica said...

Just wanted to let you know, I enjoy the randomness of your blog! I love opening your blog and never knowing what i am going to find!

Your series on how to make money blogging got me started with a blog. Feel free to check it out!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Ashley Rae said...

You have wow'd me over and over again! I love keeping up with you, and what you blog about! And as always thanks for the help you give.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM , Blogger Gypsy said...

Looks like I have a long way to go! lol

 
At July 19, 2011 at 2:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Veronica. I too love the randomness. That's what Randomosity is right? These were all great tips. Thanks for the post.

 
At July 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're doing a pretty awesome job with the blog...the give aways and the Pages on Facebook! I think it's great the way your blog's theme embraces your ADD...Randomosity! Excellent way to celebrate who you are. We're all a combination of our strengths and flaws! Keep up the wonderful work!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Shabby Chic Mom said...

great post, can you follow me back..
hahaha just kidding!! See I read it too! Thanks for the tips. I am a very new blogger and I read and read and read to try to learn and absorb!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 7:01 PM , Blogger J Rodney said...

I sure wish I could be a planner. I try to, but I always end up being behind anyway:)

I loved your post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home