This Page

has been moved to new address

Why I chose Mark. over Mary (Kay).

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Why I chose Mark. over Mary (Kay).

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Why I chose Mark. over Mary (Kay).

I've been thinking about writing this for a few weeks now, but just wasn't sure about it... though here I am. As most of you know, I was a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant for a few months. In that short time, I had recruited 10 consultants and was going to be a Red Jacket within a few weeks when I made the decision to quit. I won't go into too much detail, but I was asked to be dishonest and was treated poorly when I questioned things (like the fact that we, as reps, were trained to say MK does not test on animals when in fact they do). I decided MK was not for me at that point (there were other reasons, but you get the idea).

Don't get me wrong, some Mary Kay products are great. And while I'm allergic to the Ultimate Mascara, it's one of the best I've ever used (besides it making my eyes red and broken out, and burning and watering). I did not want to give up my new love for skin care and cosmetics, so I started looking into other companies. I quickly discovered that mark. would be the best opportunity for me. I had been reading up on mark. for a week or so when I decided to join. I momentarily contemplated Avon, but when I saw the sales quotas I backed away. Mark. has no minimums and no sales quotas, and it's only $20 to start (compared to $100 with Mary Kay), so I figured I didn't have much to lose.

I listed all of my Mary Kay products for sale online (with the exception of some foundation and eye makeup remover, which I love), and started to sell mark. I'm now going to tell you why I chose mark. over Mary.


Mary Kay = $100 starter kit
mark. = $20 starter kit

Mary Kay = $400 minimum order (retail) or you do not receive commissions at all.
mark. = no minimum order, and you always earn at least 30% on all sales.

Mary Kay = Must make $400 (retail) order at least once every 3 months or you are inactive and cannot receive commissions from downline.
mark. = No minimum orders. Always active.

Mary Kay = Earn 4% on downline.
mark. = No pyramid.

Mary Kay = High end products, high end prices.
mark. = High end products, low to medium range prices.

Mary Kay = Has the stigma of being for "old ladies".
mark. = Is fresh, hip, and perfect for all ages.

Mary Kay = You are belittled if you do not wear "Mary Kay dress" (=dress/skirt) to meetings.
mark. = Wear what you want, come as you are! No pressure for meetings every week.

Mary Kay = $50/year for your own website, plus $40-$60/year for ProPay (which is the only way they let you take payments through your website).
mark. = Free website and your earnings are direct deposited into your bank account every month.

Mary Kay = Very few color choices (this was always one of my main complaints - I love color!).
mark. = Amazing colors, bright and playful as well as muted shades and neutrals.

Now those are just a few of the reasons I chose mark. over Mary Kay. Everyone obviously has to have their own reasons, their own morals, and their own standards. When asked to lie, I just cannot do it. No matter how close I was to the career car, no matter how fun the events were and how pretty the jewelry was that they threw at me, I just could not (in good conscience) continue on my Mary Kay journey.

If you are a Mary Kay rep and are reading this, please do not be offended. I have a friend I met through Mary Kay and I am supporting her 100% on her journey. I hope she gets the Red Jacket, the career car, and directorship. And I will not say anything negative to her about Mary Kay, unless she asks for my honest opinions.

I was making money selling Mary Kay, but was not being true to myself (they made me feel horrible if I did not wear skirts to meetings - I didn't even own a skirt and had to save up for one). I am now making money with mark. and I get to be who I truly am. Mark. doesn't ask you to change yourself, they accept you how you are. They don't pressure you to leave your kids at home and attend meetings every. single. week. They don't pressure you to go to events that require you to spend money you don't have. It's just a completely different world and I love it.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and only mine. They not reflect the opinions of any other mark. or Mary Kay representatives.



Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At July 9, 2011 at 2:21 AM , Anonymous April said...

Thanks for the info. I used to sell Avon AND Mark. Are they now different companies?

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Delaney said...

Thanks for the great information!
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Kara W said...

how much of a discount do you get from mark??

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

Kara, mark. is 30% on all items and then some items are 35% if you order them early.

April, Avon & mark. are supposed to be separated as of June but I see Avon reps selling mark. still so I'm not sure about the logistics on that one. :)

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this honest review. I am so glad to be a rep myself! Thank you for your story!

 
At July 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM , Blogger Trainwreck said...

So, if you recruit people, do you make anything at all for their sales? I will be signing up at some point this month when my check gets here but am wondering if it is worth recruiting people or just working on sales and that's it. :)

 
At July 9, 2011 at 2:53 PM , Blogger S/A said...

@Thrifty Ninja

We do get something for recruiting but it's just a one time deal not an ongoing stream like most places. There is no mark pyramid (yet).

 
At July 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Trainwreck said...

If you were contacted by a different Mark. rep by email, like I was.....please let her know that is very WRONG. It is unethical to run your business by trying to take potential reps from others. Sadie wrong this post to give her opinion and there is a different Mark. rep contacting people directly trying to recruit them! VERY wrong!

 
At July 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger bekktek said...

Hey Sadie, Becky Fangmann here - I've been doing mark. for about 7 years now, you actually get a little bigger discount on some things when you order in "preview" mode :) Also, wanted to remind everyone that "MK" *pushes* you to carry inventory, and you don't have to with mark. You are also HIGHLY encouraged to get prepayment for mark. products, meaning the money is already in the bank when you order the products for your customers, instead of trying (and sometimes failing, leaving you with product to send back or keep if you don't end up sending it back!) to collect money after you've already paid for it. This is because Avon wants lots of highschool and college age girls selling, so this makes it easier for them to do so with no "out of pocket" fee. ANOTHER little fun product I'd like to mention here, for those who are a little "bigger entity", you can use the COOLEST device called SQUARE on your iPad or mobile device to collect those payments. It is a credit card processing device (www.squareup.com) and I don't make a dime for recommending it, but it's been REALLY cool to use for my nailteching business. It would also be great to boost sales for mark. products for those who prefer to use plastic (for reasons we don't know or judge! It's not up to us to decide where and how people spend their money, right?!) - so have a look at that! All you have to do is enroll (free) and you will be sent a card swiper (cool) then download the app to your phone (see website for devices capable) then link your Square account to your bank account. Each transaction will be charged to the person's card, then fee for doing so is deducted from the money you collect and then the money is automatically deposited into your bank account in about 2 days. YES, this can cost you a little bit of money (2.5% fee) to collect from your customers, but there will be LOTS of customers who would never have bought that $60 in makeup from you if they couldn't use their card! Good luck to you all in your mark. businesses, I wish I would have snagged Sadie on my team!

 
At July 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Thanks for stopping by, and for adding that helpful info, Becky!! :)

 
At July 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Sarah Krukowski said...

I love this post, and posted it on my fan page. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home