This Page

has been moved to new address

Recycled Crayon Tutorial!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Recycled Crayon Tutorial!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Recycled Crayon Tutorial!

These will make great Easter basket fillers, so I'm throwing my schedule off a bit and posting this now. :)

One quick question before I start: Do you like when I post the text ABOVE the picture or BELOW the picture that it goes with?? In this post, the text will be above the pictures. Please let me know in the comments. :)

You will need: crayons, cans from vegetables, and a muffin tin, silicon baking molds, or hard candy molds. Optional: exacto knife.

Grab your crayons and start peeling. I've heard if you soak them in water they are easier to peel, but I just use an exacto knife and slice the wrapper down the middle to peel it off. Or I have my kids do it. Child labor. Shhh.


Take the labels off of your cans, rinse them out, and fill them with ONE color each.



Or, if you have silicon molds (or are using a muffin tin), peel the crayons and break them up. Place them directly into the molds.


"Bake" crayons at 300F for 10-15 minutes. Longer if necessary.


When they are ready, they will be 100% liquid.


Quickly and carefully pour the liquid crayons into your molds. If you want to mix colors, pour them in one right after another. If you want them to be "rainbow", let each color set before pouring the next.


After about 15 minutes I place mine in the freezer, but sometimes that will make the crayons brittle. So if at all possible, just let the crayons cool on the counter. It will take 30-90 minutes, depending on the mold being used, size, etc. Flip the mold over, and the crayons should pop right out.


These are from the Easter Egg silicon baking mold:


And these are the famous crayons everyone always asks about...


Here are the molds I use. I got them off of e-bay. Just search "lego molds".


These are GREAT for party favors... I have made princesses, airplanes, race cars, trains, and lots more. Just pick out your favorite hard candy molds and go to town!

Recycled PRINCESS jumbo crayon set - YOUR CHOICE OF COLORS - Great for birthday parties, favors, toddlers, and more

If you have any questions, please let me know! Click here to see where I will be linking up.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At April 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Connie said...

Coming to you from tip Junkie. I wonder if you could do this with chocolate molds. I would think so cus it takes hot chocolate. anyway, great tutorial!! I am happy to be your newest follower. Please stop by my blog for book club if you're interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com

 
At April 12, 2011 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Yep, I use chocolate molds sometimes too! :) Will stop by your blog now.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Christa said...

Target often has "ice cube" molds in their $2.50 section. They work great for the crayons.

I like text below pictures.

 
At April 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM , Blogger nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

My vote is text below the pics.

Love these ideas! It sure beats all the candy in Easter baskets...

I'd be oh so happy if you could share this with my readers tonight @Creative Juice Thursday. Get your crafting shoes on... Hope to see you there...

 
At April 15, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Stephanie @ henry happened said...

Those are so awesome - I love the lego ones!

Thanks for visiting my site!
-Stephanie
henry  happened

 
At April 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM , Blogger Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

those lego ones are sooo cool! awesome idea :)

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again later this week :)

 
At April 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM , Blogger nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I'll be featuring you Friday in my Earth Day post!

Thanks for sharing this at Creative Juice! Hope to see you back at the party tonight!

 
At April 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Vicky said...

Thanks for sharing! I plan on making some for party favors for my sons birthday :)

 
At June 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Funkie said...

sadie I have a question when you where shipping these how did you do it to make sure they would not break and still keep coast down. I just shipped a set of 10 and it cost me almost 4 dollars to do so. Could you help pls?

 
At June 9, 2011 at 8:29 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

They're very expensive to ship. And they will melt in the mail if you're not careful. :/ That is why I don't sell them anymore, nobody wants to pay $4-$5 for shipping a few crayons.

 
At June 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Funkie said...

I never even thought of that I put them in plastic baggies by themselves and used Easter grass as padding so they would not break but I did not think about the heat. I really hope mine arrive ok. What did you do for the heat problem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home