This Page

has been moved to new address

Loom Knitted Mohawk Hat Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Loom Knitted Mohawk Hat Tutorial

Friday, February 5, 2010

Loom Knitted Mohawk Hat Tutorial

I looked all over for a decent tutorial for a knitted mohawk hat and could not find one. After getting frustrated, I just decided to wing it -- I'm good at that, remember?

I used Wool-Ease (I think that's the name?), about half a skein. I recommend using two different colors - one for the hat and one for the mohawk. I wasn't sure if I would like the finished product, so I just used one color for practice (cheaper that way).



Knit the hat up on the 2nd largest loom -- mine is green but I know different brands are different colors. This hat will fit most heads (not mine, because I have a huge head). Use the smaller loom for a tiny baby, use the largest loom for a big head like me. You can put a brim on your hat, but I think it looks better without one.



After your hat is completed, you want to add the mohawk (duh). I cut a ton of 4-5" pieces of yarn, and laid them out. I stretched the hat a little bit to find the middle row, where I wanted to add the hawk. It isn't an exact science, just eyeball it. Just make sure you follow the same knitted line so it's not a crooked mohawk. That would look kind of dumb. Use a crochet hook to pull the yarn through, and double-knot each piece of yarn to make sure it stays on. You could add two rows or even three but I just stuck with one. It all depends on how wide you want your mohawk.

You can make your hawk go from end to end, or just on part of the hat. I chose to have it go from one end to the other, minus three stitches on each side.

Last but not least (and optional) is to "fluff" your hawk. I used a regular brush but a wire brush would work wonders! You can cut it a little shorter if you'd like.. or next time make the yarn pieces longer if you want it shaggier. Again, it's all up to you! The possibilities are endless here.. these are so flippin' cute!!



Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them... I know this isn't the BEST tutorial because of the lack of pictures, but I honestly didn't think it would turn out so I didn't take pictures along the way. It's pretty self-explanatory if you know how to make a hat already.

Good luck, and I'd love to see pictures!!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM , Blogger TLF said...

How cute!
I totally need one of these for my son. He loves 'rockstar' hair!
Visiting from Tip Junkie. :)

 
At February 18, 2011 at 3:49 PM , Anonymous Misty said...

Thank you for posting this!! All the ones I was finding had the ear flaps *yuck* your is super cute & sounds soo easy! Now I am trying to figure out how to make a removable one so my kids can have multiple colors lol.. Maybe a thin chain or an icord would work.. Hook it on w Velcro maybe??

Oh & I am going to try & figure out braids and pony tails too lol I figured we could use hair clips to connect those..

Sorry to ramble lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home