This Page

has been moved to new address

Frugal Friday: Make Your Own HE SAFE Detergent

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Frugal Friday: Make Your Own HE SAFE Detergent

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Frugal Friday: Make Your Own HE SAFE Detergent

I think Fridays are my new favorite days (I realize this is posted late Thursday night -- I have a very impatient, pregnant friend that wanted me to share this like yesterday).

I love sharing ways to make and save money! I recently discovered how to make my own HE SAFE laundry detergent (courtesy of the Duggars). I know I'm a bit behind some of the super-frugal moms out there, but I never realized how much of an expense laundry detergent was until I kept having to buy it over and over again! I am not the one who does laundry, so it just never occurred to me. There are lots of recipes you can find, but I will share the one I am using. :)

I have NO clue how I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients. :( So I stole a picture from google.


You'll need:

4 cups hot tap water
1/2 cup Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 Fels-Naptha Bar
OPTIONAL: Essential oils


Grate the Fels-Naptha Bar (we found ours at Dierberg's, but most grocery stores or whole food stores should carry it).


Mix with 4 cups hot tap water and stir over medium heat until all soap is melted.


Seriously, stir until all of the soap is melted. Don't get impatient and skip this part. :)


Fill a 5 gallon bucket HALF full with hot tap water (straight from the tub is fine, no need to heat on the stove). I do not have a picture of this step, sorry!

Pour the heated soap mixture into the 5 gallon bucket. Add the washing soda and borax. Stir. Let cool and add essential oils. I added about 30 drops. Fill the bucket the rest of the way with water, stir, cover and let set for 24 hours.


Stir the mixture well upon uncovering. This is what it looks like after 24 hours of setting. It's kind of like a goop-gel-water consistency.


Pour detergent into old containers or a milk jug. Fill HALF WAY with laundry detergent, and the other half with water. You will need to shake this detergent every time before use, as it will gel up and separate. Front loaders use 1/4c top loaders use 1/2c. Also, if you are using this detergent for sensitive skin or babies, you can skip the borax. If you have tough stains, you can add baking soda. There are plenty of recipes here that you can check out. :)

The run down on the cost:

Bucket: $3 (You may have one of these on hand)
Fels-Naptha: $2.50
Borax: $3.49
Super Washing Soda: $2.99
Essential Oils: On hand

Total for 10 gallons of laundry soap: Less than $5.

The amount of borax and washing soda I have on hand will make gallons and gallons and gallons of laundry detergent. If you have your own recipes or frugal tips, please share them. :) I am thinking about doing a frugal linky if you'd be interested let me know.

**Also, a cup of vinegar in your rinse cycle can replace the need for dryer sheets.**

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At March 31, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Blogger So Stinkn Cute said...

I am interested in hearing from someone who had tried this!

 
At April 1, 2011 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

We absolutely love it. :) Will be updating after our friends try it. I posted on Facebook about it so lots of them are coming to get a bucket full! :)

 
At April 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM , Blogger @pril said...

This is interesting. I saw you at Fantabulous Friday at MommasKindaCrafty.

Today is my blog's first linky party. I would love for you to add this: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Funky%20Fresh%20Fridays.

 
At April 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM , Blogger Jewel said...

I found your blog via cafemom. I really like some of the ideas you share. This is far, far easier to follow then trying to keep up with your posts on CM.

Following as well.

Have a great day.

 
At April 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Bryn Haney said...

What oils do you recommend to make your clothes smelling nice? Thanks for the information. Serious about trying it. I'll let you know what I think (:

 
At April 3, 2011 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Sadie said...

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some "pearberry" scent, but you could use tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, vanilla.. anything that you like. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At April 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM , Blogger KekiRee said...

This sounds like the recipe my sister just used. She LOVES it. But she said next time she makes it, she'll add more essential oils for a better smell. (she's gunna make me some! YEA!)

 
At April 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM , Anonymous Suzy said...

I have started making all of our cleaning products from scratch also. Not only are they so simple and super inexpensive but they are so great for laundry... NO more dingy towels and everything is nice and fluffy! Amazing that it is SO much less than Tide but does so much more! My laundry soap is a dry powder but basically mostly the same recipe.

I will be doing an upcoming series on cleaning product recipes... So check in with my blog soon :)
Lovetosave.org

 
At July 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm all about DIY! stumbled!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home