This Page

has been moved to new address

Meatless Monday: Healthier Mac

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Meatless Monday: Healthier Mac

Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatless Monday: Healthier Mac

This is my first attempt at Meatless Monday. If you like this blog idea, please let me know and I will continue to do these posts. :)


So everyone loves macaroni & cheese, right? But the crap in the box is just, well, gross... and the yummy oven baked stuff is high in calories. I set out to find a happy medium, and after just a little bit of trial and error I think I have succeeded. The pictures aren't the greatest (I haven't quite mastered cooking and photographing things at the same time yet), but the meal is nothing short of perfection. Try it out, and let me know what you think!


First, gather your ingredients:


-elbow noodles (you could do wheat noodles)
-12oz fat free small curd cottage cheese
-8oz fat free sour cream
-1/4 cup butter (I used Smart Balance light)
-1 cup broccoli
-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup light parmesan
-1 cup bread crumbs

Preheat your oven to 350*F.

Prepare your broccoli by steaming or boiling it. Set aside.

Cook the elbow noodles as you normally would (boil the water, add the noodles, drain).

Pour noodles into a casserole pan (9x9 works great). Add shredded cheese, parmesan, cottage cheese, and sour cream. Stir all of the ingredients together.


Cut broccoli up into small pieces and add to the macaroni mixture.


Melt your butter in a bowl, using your microwave. It only takes about 30 seconds. Mix in bread crumbs. Pour over macaroni mixture.


Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and ta-da! Home made, healthier mac in under 45 minutes.


Regular recipe calories: About 600
Healthy recipe calories: Under 400

Join the fun, click below!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At March 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger ~*American Muslimah*~ said...

Yummy!! I think I'm going to give this a try tonight :)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks good. I think I might have to give this a try! And yes, continue on with Meatless Mondays =)

 
At March 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Wow! Totally on my list for next week! Thanks so much for the idea!

 
At April 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank You for this yummy looking recipe.. I'm going to try this out on Monday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home