This Page

has been moved to new address

Best Mac Ever

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Best Mac Ever

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Best Mac Ever



I've been on a cooking and baking kick lately, but Gracelynn is so picky she usually just wants macaroni and cheese. So instead of getting the boxed stuff, I've been trying new recipes. This one is from a book called Down Home With the Neelys. I changed it just a little bit because we were missing a few ingredients.

I forgot to take a picture of all of the ingredients... if I make it again I will edit this post. Sorry!

You will need:

6 tablespoons butter
1 pound spiral pasta
1 cup flour
4 cups whole milk, warmed
1 t dry mustard powder
1 t salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper
pinch of nutmeg
dash of hot sauce
dash of worcestershire sauce
4 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 c white cheddar

Topping:

1 1/2 c crushed potato chips (we used BBQ)
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
bacon bits

Heat your oven to 375*F. Butter a 3 quart casserole dish.

Cook pasta until al dente.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.


Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a simmer. Whisk constantly to thicken.

Stir in the dry mustard, salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, hot sauce, and worcestershire sauce into the thickened milk. Stir in 3 cups on sharp cheddar and all of the white cheddar, until cheeses melt.

Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir.

Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.


Make the topping (combine all topping ingredients in a bowl).


Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of cheese/noodle mixture, and then add the chip/bacon topping. Bake for 20 minutes. The book says 35 but ours burnt!!


This mac was very rich. The flavor was very different from anything I've baked before. If you don't have the spices on hand, this recipe can get very expensive (I paid $3 each for nutmet, cayenne, and mustard powder!) - but it is a great dish to take to a pot luck. You will definitely impress everyone. Let me know if you try it, and what you think!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At May 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yummm...I would also eat that every day :)

 
At May 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Megan said...

That looks delicious! I love mac&cheese and the cheesier the better :)

 
At May 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am your newest follower from the blog hop. This looks heavenly! Thanks for sharing. I am sure my girls will LOVE this!

Lydia

 
At May 11, 2011 at 3:52 PM , Blogger DeDa Studios said...

blog hopping new follower! Looks delicious! stop for a visit http://dedastudios.blogspot.com

 
At May 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can't say I've had a dish like that before but it looks delicious!

I'm a new follower from the Alexa Hop. I have a blog hop on my page also, if you'd like to link up.

www.adeliciousobsession.com

 
At May 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger PinayinTexas said...

Wow! My daughters love Mac & Cheese...I'm sure they will love this version of yours!
Following you now from Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop!
See you around...

 
At May 12, 2011 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Found you at the Monster Hop. New follower!!
http://gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com

 
At May 12, 2011 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I'm totally lost here. What is Monster Hop? Sounds like fun.

 
At May 12, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

Monster Hop is a blog hop! :) Go to my "HOPS" up top and you will see it at the very bottom of that page.

 
At May 13, 2011 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Chase said...

Oh I like Down Home with the Neelys! This recipe looks great!

Visiting from the alexa blog hop!
Chase’s View

 
At May 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! was it spicy?

 
At May 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Sadie said...

I expected it to have a kick to it, but it didn't at all. I might add more cayenne next time. The flavor was really amazing though. A mix I've never tasted before!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home