This Page

has been moved to new address

Called CPS, again..

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
randomosity: Called CPS, again..

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Called CPS, again..

For the third time since we have lived here (since August), I've called Child Protective Services on the same family. We first saw the little girl wandering around shortly after we moved in. She was 2, and still in diapers (in fact, she had a t-shirt and diaper on, in October, and that's all). We called to report it, anonymously. Nothing was done. I called to follow-up, and even the supervisor couldn't find the report. Interesting.

We called again in January. She was out, wandering around by herself, yet again. I left my name and number. They called before they went to her house to investigate, to get directions. I called to follow up, and they couldn't locate the report. Again? Really?

Today, I saw the little girl (who is 3 now) standing by the edge of the hill we live on, looking over into the creek. She was about 5 feet from the very edge, and it's muddy so she easily could've slid down the hill and fallen into the creek. I was looking out the window and saw her, thank God, so I ran out there to get her. Her brother (he is in kindergarten) was there and said he'd bring her home - they live 4 buildings down from us - so I said okay. I watched them walk towards their house. I walked back inside my apartment, and sat down by the window.

Not even five minutes later, I saw the same little girl halfway down the hill by the dumpster, laying in mud, surrounded by glass. Yes, glass. Someone ran into the dumpster last week and their back glass busted everywhere. Her brother? Nowhere around.

I picked her up, she never said a word. I asked her where she lived and she just stared at me. A neighbor was outside and showed me where she lived. I walked her down there and knocked on the door. A man screamed (at something? someone?), ran to open the door and then shut it behind him really fast. House was disgusting. He didn't grab her and embrace her, scared to death that she was by the creek.. he just said "Mmhmm" when I told him both accounts of what happened. He then turned to the little boy (who followed me over there) and said he was going to "beat his ass" for not watching his sister.

Then he proceeded to yell at her for being outside without her brother, and told her she was a "very bad girl" and he would "deal with her later". He then almost threw her inside, and slammed the door in my face. Didn't say thank you for saving her life... saving her from falling in the creek.. for getting her out of the mud.. nothing. Just threw her inside.

I came home and called the child abuse hotline. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I was told to call another number. I did, and told my story, and they said they would send someone out. The last two times, they had no record of my report. Wonder if they will this time?

I realize now, in hindsight, that I should've called 911. My mistake. Let's hope it doesn't cost her her life. I feel like a horrible mom right now, but I was trying to get her back home so she could be safe.. stupid me, "home" and "safe" aren't synonymous for all children.

Next time I see her outside, even if she is RIGHT by her house, I'm calling 911. No doubt about it.

10 Comments:

At March 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Evonne said...

Don't beat yourself up too much. You did call and report this - twice. I don't understand how the reports were lost. I would maybe call 911 and talk to someone anyway.

 
At March 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Yes that child is too young to seek any help on their own. You have to be an advocate for her and her brother.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

 
At March 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Evonne, maybe not 911 at this point, but the local police department.

Something similar happened here with me. The 1st time I found an 18 month old toddler wandering around, I located the mother, who was not concerned at all, no thank you, nothing. The child was climbing outside stairs two buildings away from Mom.

The 2nd time I saw her, I just scooped her up, went to the office and had the office call the police.

The police took her away, as we sat there for quite awhile and the mother never showed up looking for her or called to report a missing a child.

Sometimes I detest people.

 
At March 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Arya said...

this is just such a sad tale. There are so many people who WANT to have children and here is someone who obviously doesn't and it's just not fair or right.

I hope that those children get the help they need. ((HUGGS))

 
At March 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM , Blogger Casey said...

Wow that's such a tough situation. It's a shame that these types of people decide to have children. Those poor little kids won't know any better and the cycle will begin again when they have kids. It's so horrible.

I hope that someone listens to your story and can come and help these little children - they deserve so much better.

Most people wouldn't have done anything, so you're not a terrible mum, you did the right thing! Most people would have just ignored it.

 
At March 18, 2010 at 1:01 AM , Blogger The Shepards said...

I agree call the police department next time, and tell them your story. 911 won't take you seriously as it is not an emergency and just think you are bat shit.

 
At March 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM , Blogger SB~the origianl bunny said...

You can call the police at any time and request a "welfare check". Explain to them what happened and that you are in fear for the girls life and promptly ask for a welfare check and HOUND them til they do. Good luck.

 
At March 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Michelle aka GirlyGirlBead said...

What a sad story. I hope everything turns out ok for that poor little girl. My hearts just breaks when I hear stories like that. It makes me want to run over there and take that little girl away from those horrid people.

 
At March 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Erika said...

Oh my gosh, did you spend the rest of the evening crying cause I am almost crying right now just thinking about it.

My fingers are crossed and I hope CPS gets their butts in gear.

 
At April 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM , Anonymous Grace said...

Please update this if you have an update! It's so upsetting! Are you in a very rural area where maybe CPS is overloaded? I can't believe I always here stories of CPS taking children away or hounding parents over a bathtub photo or ethical choice (like not vaccinating or homeschooling) and then simultaneously hear all these stories about CPS not acting on actual reports of abuse and neglect. Makes my spine shiver!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home